Why Friends Are the Secret to Your Fitness Success
You may be trying hard to get regular exercise and make healthy food choices, but if you don’t have like-minded friends, this can be pretty tough, according to this article from funkyfashionfitness.com
“For some people working out by themselves can be pretty difficult. I highly recommend finding a workout partner to maximize your program,” exercise physiologist Tom Holland says in his new book Beat the Gym: Personal Trainer Secrets Without the Personal Trainer Price Tag.
According to Holland, workout buddies can help you get bikini-ready in five key ways:
- They provide motivation. The days you don’t want to work out, they will get you out the door. The days they feels like skipping, you will get them to the gym. When you want to give up completely, they will talk you into sticking with your plan.
- They serve as spotters. The bench press. Squats. Your partner can help spot you, keeping your workouts safer yet more challenging at the same time.
- They increase your exercise arsenal. There are numerous strength moves you can do with your partner, like crunches with a medicine ball, partner pushups and leg tosses. These are fun and very effective.
- They provide companionship. Working out can be lonely, especially long cardio sessions. Having a friend next to you to talk with while you slave away on the elliptical can make the time fly by.
- They provide competition. Let’s be honest: We as human beings like to compete with one another. Try finding a workout partner who is just a little fitter, just a little stronger than you are. By trying to keep up with them, you will challenge yourself in ways that you cannot do alone.